Oct 7, 2007

Bosou...

One of my favourite so called poor man's food is Bosou...
Which is actually fresh water fish fermented with rice and Pangi(some kind of fruit to kill of the fishy smell)
It's best when you eat it with rice without any other dishes.

Everytime when I reached home to have dinner with my dad, i would open my jar filled with my dad would back away to avoid the smell.
For him, it's disgusting because it smells and looks like rotting fish in a jar(to me it smells like cheese).
When I first saw it a few years ago, I didn't like the idea of eating it(same how like my father feels like right now). It was funny to remember back that the reason I started eating that 'thing' was to challenge myself as being so-called a Kadazan kid since most of my relatives on my mother's side likes to eat it.

From fear factor... it somehow turns to my personal delicacy at home. Gosh, my mouth just water just to imagine it when I'm really hungry.


Bosou in a jar

Plus, there's nothing better than a piece of 'bosou' for dinner after a day of hard work. Sooner or later, I need to learn how to make one instead of depending on my parents to export it from Sabah. It's really frustrating to see when there's only 1 piece of fish left in the jar and there's a long way to go before you can go back to hometown(which is only once a year!).

Nyum!! Kadazan 'sushi' anyone?

15 comments:

zewt said...

being an adventurous person... i would certainly wanna try that..

Dena E said...

wah kim..first time i saw post on bosou..your mum told me about it.wah, i never dare to eat this..and don't say i am not a kadazan. i still eat bambangan and hinava but bosou..main jauh jauh..

charmedcookie said...

crikey! looks like a perfect challenge for fear factor alrite! think u cld bring some over next CNY ;)

Kim Bosiwang said...

Zewt - I can get one for you if you want since I'll be going back to Sabah in Dec. Hehe...

Dena - Yup, not all Kadazans like to eat it. Even my aunt would stay away from it because of the smell.

charmedcookie - You sure? I can bring it down anytime. It'll freak you guys out ;)

zewt said...

how does it taste like actually?

cibol said...

wah, i long time dun try liw .. it's like those pekasam ikan thing la rite?

Kim Bosiwang said...

Zewt - Mostly sour... I can only describe either you like it or you really don't.

Cibol - Pekasam Ikan? Sure ah?

carol said...

Hi Kim, my first time here.

The Bosou pix sure looked yummy. Im drooling for it now. And yeah, just rice and bosou (and maybe with chili padi to add some hotness) would be enough to fill up my stomach.Slurrp!

Ever tried Bosou bakas? ;)

Kim Bosiwang said...

Carol: You bet that bosou tastes better with chili padi :) Now, tryin to eat 'slowly' to avoid it from finishing too soon hehe.

No, I haven't tried Bosou bakas yet. Will try to do so when I come back to Sabah this Christmas.

**Wendy** said...

Kim...im not gonna eat tht..so do potato skin...

beetrice said...

ewww...I can't imagine what it would taste like.

Then again, err..if we're supposed to torture the cousin-in-law with the 'jip san leong' in Feb, this would be PERFECT!! :D

Bring it on, Kim!

Kim Bosiwang said...

Ya hoh... That's a very good idea!

Dad said...

for those who have no thought on how it smells, let me say this, it smells like 'sh..'. No offence intended!

zengansad said...

Cooked right, it smells and taste delicious! Gourmet style bosou here: http://zenoed.com/archives/97

Anonymous said...

Nice Post. In the Philippines we call these "BURO". Burong Isda. Isda means fish. We used the angkak as additive. I think our old ancestor have both the same food preserving ingenuity. That's Pretty Awesome!