May 22, 2011

Office = Family?

Something had been disturbing me after the team building held in Bukit Jalil last Saturday. Overall, the exercise and activities were great except for one presentation that shook me. The scene was a KLCC building. In between was a plank for me to cross from 1 building to another. One side was me and the other was the building on fire with a baby crying for help. The question was whether I will cross the plank to save the baby which was mine. The answer was obvious. Then, we were told that we should see our company as our baby which we should sacrifice for.
Old memories flashed back on the time when I was encouraged to treat my work place as a family. Treating the company as my 'baby' where I had to work hard or sacrifice for it. It was year 2006 on Christmas that I  remembered when I returned to Sabah for my vacation. Upon returning back to work, I found out that hell broke loose when the operational manager tried to look for me on one of the daily meetings. She made a comment that I should have returned to work if there's any issue happened at work and I heard that my supervisor took the hit instead without telling me. The word never came until I returned to work through some of my colleagues. I've never forgotten the statement she mentioned that she was willing to cut short her vacation just to returned to work and the company was her her family.
On the day her brother passed on, many sympathized her for her grief. I had no feelings of sympathy at that moment as my impression of her that family was the least important thing compare to the company she worked with. She took quite a long break and somehow she changed quite a lot and no longer being on the spotlight. The post was given to another person.
The question comes back again in my mind on the commitment to the place where I work now. Between the 'baby' and my biological family, I'll choose my own flesh and blood followed by my close friends.
I disagree with the statement to call the company as my 'baby'. It's not really something to die for. Although that's the closest thing someone can encourage in order to get a worker to gain commitment to his company, it feels wrong to put such strong emotions towards the company.

1 comment:

William Wang said...

The difference here is replaceable & irreplaceable. If we were to lose some money, dont be too distressed as we can learn from the mistake and easily get it back.